Charity, as they say, begins at home, and so does environmental consciousness. Instilling social awareness is one of the biggest pillars of goodwill. Well, this is exactly why lessons about preserving our environment best taught at home. It could start from simple ones like putting trash in the garbage bin to create compost.
Essentially, there are many ways to be environmentally friendly at home. You just need to be conscious about these and also involve your children. They will be able to continue with these practices outside too.
Introduce Simple ways to be environmentally friendly
When you involve children, the cardinal rule is to introduce simple initiatives. This allows kids to understand their tasks and responsibilities too. Start with their bedrooms. There are many ways to be environmentally friendly right there.
- Teach them to switch off the light and fan when it is not used
- The computer needs to be switched off. It consumes energy even in sleep mode.
- The TV has to be switched off when they are leaving home.
- They should not leave the bathroom or basin taps open.
- They should make sure the taps are not dripping at night.
- Avoid a bathtub as much as possible. It uses up a lot more water.
- Remember to use the low flow flush in the toilet.
- Do not litter the room.
- Remember to put all the trash in the garbage bin.
- Make kids clean these bins when you clean the rest of the house.
- Make sure that the kids open the windows in the morning. It allows the natural light in and also saves on electricity expenses.
- Encourage the kids to place little planters on the window sill. Make sure they care for them. Remind them to water these regularly.
Now once they join for dinner or other activities, help spread the message on a broader horizon. Remember that children grasp ways to be environmentally friendly by what they see. So make sure
- No one wastes food at the dinner table.
- The lights in the living room and corridors are switched off when not required.
- Kitchen appliances like Microwave and water purifiers are switched off when not used.
- If you have windows in the dining area, open them. The natural light and the air add to the warmth and positive vibes in the dining area. They also reduce carbon footprints.
- Engage your kids in creating a small herb garden in your kitchen window
- Place small green plants all around the house. Put your kids in charge of watering them and caring for them.
All of these steps will keep them conscious of their environmental responsibilities. Often this can make a big difference in how they respond to environmental challenges outside the home. Environmental consciousness also leads to significant savings. You can create incentives for kids.
Start by transferring savings on your electricity or water bill to their account. This also helps them to get a real-time analysis of how significant their savings were. You can also engage them in making recycled products. This can make ways to be environmentally friendly fun and exciting too.
One of the easiest options for creating environmental consciousness is recycling products. The best thing is you can engage your kids too and make it a fun vacation project.
- You can look at converting old cartons into interesting toy boxes.
- Decoupage old furniture and give them a modern look
- Add color to your kitchen and introduce funky recycled jars
- Paint your planters in bright colors and add excitement to your rooms
- Convert a small part of your backyard into a compost corner.
- Look at making interesting craft items from water material.
In this way, you can improve your child’s environmental consciousness. At the same time, motivate them to create something unique. This can also help them create a new hobby and have fun.
Therefore, incorporating ways to be friendly at home is quite simple. But you have to inevitably think out of the box and go that extra mile to inculcate these in your child. On the other hand, remember these are life lessons for your child. You are improving their environmental consciousness and helping them become responsible citizens.
The simplicity of these tasks and their far fetching ramifications are overwhelming. The go a long way in helping your kids appreciate our natural resources. They learn to treasure our legacy and preserve it better. Moreover, a conscious child also represents a conscious generation. So, in many ways, we are helping in preserving the environment better for the next generation. They get a real-time exposure about how to preserve. This also can trigger an informed environmental activism by these children.